Putin

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Aug 6 18:20:49 UTC 2000

Obviously semantics does not override phonetics here.  Ron, your observation speaks to
generative models of speech production.  The native (Germanic) stress rules for English
place the stress on the first syllable when the second (and last) one is weak.  The
alternative pronunciation "PYU-t'n" doesn't seem to be available in American phonology
nowadays.  What do the British do with this name?  Aside from unsavory semantics, this
name raises some interesting questions for phonological theory.
DMLance