"greengrocer's apostrophe" (was Re: Cam(pb)ell)

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Mon Aug 7 13:49:12 UTC 2000

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> Here, we don't have the reversal-of-intention indicated by scare quotes.
> The quote marks are just used as a kind of underscoring.  I think we did
> talk about these once before here and called them 'emphatic quotes' or
> some such thing, but they don't seem to have an established name.

OK, Lynne and Larry have convinced me that they're a separate
phenomenon, although I think I've heard scarequotes used for both the
wink-wink nudge-nudge sense and the "emphasis" sense, maybe because of the
lexical gap.

--- Steve K.