Jim Crow

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 8 02:54:59 UTC 2000

     Some "Jim Crow" items.
     From the NEW YORK DISPATCH, 16 August 1885, pg. 6, col. 2:

     _JIM CROW._
     BY CHARLEY WHITE
     It has occasionally been staed in some country journals from, unknown
authority, that there was an individual named George Nicholls, a clown, who
it is said sang Jim Crow in Western circuses before the late T. D. Rice made
that song so popular.  This rumor no doubt originated with a few persons in
the equestrian business about the time of Rice's debut and success--1829.  It
seems rather unkind now at this late day to rob so great an artist of his
laurels.  I take great pride in mentioning the above case merely in support
of Rice, my old respected and much-loved friend.  I was an ardent admirer of
his professional ability, and believe he was original in most of his
productions.  It appears to me that aggrieved parties or others of that time
certainly had opportunities and time enough during the many years of Rice's
success, to denounce the claim of Rice, or any intention or trespass on his
part.  However, as this was all anterior to my entree in the ranks of
minstrelsy, or of compiling any record of similar events, I must necessarily
handle the subject carefully, and at the same time live in doubt for want of
more satisfactory authority as to the truthfulness of the foregoing
statements.

     From CONFECTIONERS JOURNAL, September 1909, pg. 91, col. 1:

     JIM CROWS
Ten pounds of chocolate coating
Four pounds of lozenge sugar
Three pounds of roasted and chopped almonds
Seeds of one vanilla bean
     Put three pounds Valencia almonds into a peanut roaster and roast until
slightly brown in color, then turn out and chop or break into small pieces.
Now have ten pounds of No. 1 chocolate coating melted and turned out on a
warm marble slab, add to the chocolate four pounds or enough lozenge sugar to
stiffen the chocolate to a thick paste, then add the chopped almonds; mix
well, and leave the paste set in a warm, dry room over night; then add the
seeds of one vanilla bean, mix well.  Now knead the batch until it is cool or
will dry off bright and glossy.  Roll the batch into small sticks and
one-half inches long and as (Col. 2--ed.) thick as a lead pencil; lay each
stick on glazed paper; set in ice box until dry and hard.  If the goods are
dull and gray, they have beeen worked too hot or too cold.