Cantaloupe and muskmelon

Wed Aug 9 16:26:54 UTC 2000

I just followed some of my own advice, went to the
Burpee Webpage, and searched for both muskmelon and
cantaloupe.

http://www.burpee.com/

Both muskmelons and cantaloupes are listed, and
sometimes both words are used in describing a
particular melon, but one variety is marked...

"Vedrantais Heirloom Melon

HEIRLOOM.Charentais-type melons are the
real cantaloupes, born in Italy and refined
in France.                             $2.95"

Based on the small picture, they have a smooth skin,
no evident veining, and look nothing like the
cantaloupe sold in local stores.  The color is yellow
with dark green stripes running from bud to stem.
It's hard to judge accurately from the picture, but
they also appear to be smaller than a typical
"cantaloupe".

--- Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU>
wrote:
> At 01:12 PM 8/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Yesterday while grocery shopping I asked the
> produce manager the price
> >of cantaloupe.  She responded, "Do you mean those
> muskmelons or the
> >cantaloupe over there?"  After I got the price, I
> asked her what the
> >difference was between the.  She said that she
> thought they were the
> >same but that the produce department made a
> distinction between the
> >smaller rough-skinned cantaloupe and the larger,
> Indiana-grown melon
> >that has natural seams.
> >
> >The RHD distinguishes cantaloupe as the specific
> Armenian variety of
> >Cucumis Melo first grown at the papal estate at
> Cantelupo, near Rome.
> >Muskmelons are also Cucumis Melo, but several
> different varieties.
> >
> >As a child, I got the impression, or perhaps was
> taught, I'm not sure
> >which, that cantaloupe was a formal, "proper" name
> for what was
> >colloquially called muskmelon.  Some people in SE
> Michigan also called
> >them all "mushmelon".
> >
> >What distinctions do you find between the two terms
> among people who are
> >not produce managers, gardeners, or botanists?
> >
> >Herb Stahlke
>
> Funny you should ask--my brother asked me this very
> question when I was
> visiting in Minnesota last week.  As kids we always
> said 'muskmelon', but I
> think I felt the "proper" term was 'cantaloupe' as I
> grew up and moved
> away, while he did not.  Our sense is that they
> refer to the same fruit
> (vegetable?).  The two dept. secretaries here in
> southern Ohio differed,
> however.  The older uses both terms (and hears
> 'mushmelon' among still
> older people, as I do here but did not in
> Minnesota), while the younger one
> only uses 'cantaloupe' and claims not to know the
> term 'muskmelon' at all
> (a dubious claim, I suspect).  I've never heard of a
> texture-based
> difference; that does indeed sound like a
> commercially made up distinction.

> Beverly Olson Flanigan         Department of
> Linguistics
> Ohio University                     Athens, OH
> 45701
> Ph.: (740) 593-4568              Fax: (740) 593-2967

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued