silent letters (was broadcasters)

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Thu Aug 10 15:59:28 UTC 2000

At 10:42 AM 8/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
Not for Popeye.  Has anyone out there ever encountered anyone who pronounces
"iron" with two syllables like the cartoon character?

Not any Americans- but the Poles have a their own version of Ozzy Osbourne's
Iron Man, "Jestem I Ron Man" - so I know hundreds of ESL students who say that
way.
Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart
that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the
eye."                 Antoine de Saint-Exupery