Missing variable in intro courses [long]

Mai Kuha mkuha at BSUVC.BSU.EDU
Sun Aug 13 00:24:08 UTC 2000

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Laurence Horn wrote:
(...)
> In the Dialects of English course I co-teach with a colleague at
> Yale, I spend one lecture (abysmally brief, to be sure, as is the one
> lecture we devote to male vs. female speech practices) on sexual
> orientation as a variable.  While we are able to use Chapter 7 of
> Wolfram & Schilling-Estes as the principal reading for the gender
> lecture (along with "The New Pygmalion" from Cameron's _Verbal
> Hygiene_), the orientation lecture has no corresponding chapter in

Thanks. I seem to have missed the Cameron book entirely. I'll look for it.

> _American English_), so the last time around I assigned two articles
> from Hall & Livia's Queerly Phrased:  Zwicky on "Two Lavender
> Issues..." and Barrett on "The 'homo-genius' speech community".  Your

I was thinking about those two chapters too. The Barrett chapter seemed a
little too academic to me, but your students find it manageable then?

-Mai
Mai Kuha                  mkuha at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Department of English     (765) 285-8410
Ball State University