Bergen bites

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 13 20:30:26 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Bergen, Norway.
   This was the home of composer Edward Grieg (see the film bio SONG OF NORWAY).  NORWAY star Florence Henderson is hiding from me here--maybe she really did like Greg Brady better.
   "FLO!  YO, FLO!"
   It's raining here, but I'm told it always rains here.

HEALTH TOURISTS; STOLEN GENERATION

   The TIMES OF LONDON has been doing a front page series on "health tourists"--people who visit England to take advantage of the National Health Service.
   The "Stolen Generation" in Australia lost their legal case this week.
   Both terms have been around awhile--check Nexis.

NORWAY IN A NUTSHELL

   The popular "Norway in a Nutshell" tours have been going on here for at least 50 years.  I don't know if this is useful for "in a nutshell."
   An old slogan of Norway appears to have been, from a poster in Flam: "Norway--The Land of the Midnight Sun."  Whatever that means.

O-KE

   O-KE was a brand of cigarettes that was in a display in the WWII museum on Oslo.

FOOD & DRINK

  A place in Flam served these drinks:

  LONG DRINKS:
Fjellbekk
San Fransisco
Singapore SLing
Snow Ball
Black Russian
Irish Coffee
  SHOT:
Galliano Shot
Cacao Shot
  NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINKS:
Furukroa Special
Olsen Driver
San Fransisco Light

   Reindeer is served everywhere.  "Smorbrod" (open sandwiches) are also popular.
   I had "lefse" at the Folk Museum.  There is also "Vestlandlefse" (West Coast buttered bannock).
   The name of the country is in the dishes "Norwegian meatballs (kjottkaker)" and "Norwegian almond cake (fyrstekake)."