"monachie": not in OED

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Aug 14 20:53:41 UTC 2000

"Monachie" doesn't sound at all Dutch, and it doesn't appear in my big
Nederlands Koenen dictionary (27th ed., Wolters 1981).  The only thing
close that is listed there is "monachaal," which means monastic.  Since the
Dutch word for monk is "monnik" (monk), a form with "ch" looks odd.  The
etymology is "Gr. monachos = alleen, alleen wonend, monnik," but probably
it's a later borrowing than monnik, which has to have been borrowed way
early, before the High German consonant shift.  And in any case all this
doesn't seem to get us any closer to a word for a wagon part which has no
obvious connection with monks.

Peter Mc.

--On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 3:25 PM -0500 GEORGE THOMPSON
<thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU> wrote:

>         I am naturally not familiar with the construction of horse-carts,
> and I don't understand where the monachie would be attached to the
> cart.  Has it other names in other parts of the country?  Can anyone
> offer a Dutch etymology?

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu