NORWAY'S DELIGHT (continued)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 16 12:41:06 UTC 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    I checked OED--there's one slim "midnight sun," but I don't know
> what Jesse has in storage.

OED's first use is 1857.  Here's an earlier one I have found:

1831 F. W. Beechey _Narrative of a Voyage to the Pacific and Beering's
Strait_ 335  The midnight sun ... tinges with a bright line all the
northern circle.

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu