bread and butter pickles

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Wed Aug 16 13:35:53 UTC 2000

Hello again all--

Does anyone have any history on the term "bread and butter pickles"?
(This is just for interests' sake, not serious research--don't put
yourself out.)

The pickles I've bought in a jar here are labelled "dill cucumbers", but
they taste like bread and butter pickles to me.  I assume that the term
is American, since we seem to have many more varieties of pickled cukes
than the British do (who seem to have gherkins, and things that are
called 'dill' but don't taste like dill).  It's not in AHD nor DARE, and
my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook gives no indication of where they
come from or why they're called 'bread and butter'.

Lynne, who misses kosher dills

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex