guppies and muppies

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Wed Aug 16 17:03:43 UTC 2000

arnold said:

> joe pickett, replying to my wondering about whether i can be
> described as a GUPPIE at my age:
>
>   Maybe you're a muppie, which according to AHD3 is
>
>   A middle-aged or mature professional person, especially one
>   considered to be affluent, ambitious, and trendy.

We could always try to introduce prenasalized (and prelabialized?)
consonants into English and call you a "mguppie".  (Hanson's top 40 song
"Mmmbop" may have planted the seeds of prenazalization in English.)   Or
you could be a "gumpie", as in "I'm gumpie, dammit."

Lynne, mistress of stupid pop culture references