absolutely trivial: linguistic songs

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Aug 17 02:32:49 UTC 2000

Steve K wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>
>> True!  I'm off the hook!  But maybe I'll write a song involving Chomsky
>> instead.  I think that's even harder to rhyme.
>
>There's a trance group called boo maga that has a recording called Under
>Attack that samples a bunch of Chomsky's political sound bites.
>
>There's also a song called Noam CHomsky by Karma Covered Apple.

Actually, there is also "Old Man Chomsky", which used to be sung (along
with a whole bunch of filk songs for linguists) at the UofC's Goodspeed Day
festivities. I would offer to post them, but 1) I would have to find my
copies and 2) I might not have permission. I believe "Old Man Chomsky" is
by John Goldsmith, but I could very well be wrong.

And, for the record, John recently wrote, to the same "possibly
recognizable tune" (as Nancy Dary's Hamp song, in case you missed the Tom
Lehrer (sp?) reference), a song in honor of Kostas Kazasis, who retired
this year.

Barbara Need
UChicago
Linguistics