Left Coast

jester at PANIX.COM jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Aug 24 16:55:37 UTC 2000

> Reporting on the Democratic National Convention, a writer for the LA Times
> recently wrote: "Identifying the D.C. contingent was easy at Senate
> Minority Leader Tom Daschle's party in the Conga Room. If she was wearing a
> revealing top, a short, tight micro-mini and strappy stillettos, if she had
> that come-hither look, she was definitely Left Coast."
>
> The RHHDAS cites Lewin and Lewin 1988, which says "left coast" is
> synonymous with "West Coast." Have any of you come across the term in the
> more specific manner in which it is used above?

I'm not sure I understand the more specific manner you have in mind.
The quoted sentence seems to suggest that a woman with this
provocative outlet and demeanor was clearly a Californian, not a
D.C.'er. It's a little oddly phrased, since the writer seems to
mean that identifying those _not_ from the D.C. contingent is
easy, but it makes sense.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED