Left Coast

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 24 17:41:34 UTC 2000

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, William Safire wrote:

> The RHHDAS cites Lewin and Lewin 1988, which says "left coast" is
> synonymous with "West Coast." Have any of you come across the term in the
> more specific manner in which it is used above?

This doesn't address the specific meaning question, but I can give earlier
evidence for "Left Coast" than the 1988 dating in the RHHDAS:

1980 _N.Y. Times_ 6 July (Nexis)  If you're standing in Texas looking
north, as Texans frequently do, the Left Coast is where Hollywood is.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu