Gotland greetings

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 25 11:51:50 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Visby, on the island of Gotland.  It's called "the town of roses and ruins."  I love this town.  The stone Viking (or, "Wiking" as some have said) markers with runic inscriptions are just what I love.  Just add a "no one has been able to decipher this" and I'm hooked.

OK Q8--Popular 7-11-type stores (found on highways) in Sweden use this name.

F-WORD--Advertised in the subway in Stockholm was "en film av Lukas Moodysson."  The film?  "Som Gjorde Fucking Amal."

SWEDEN: THE SECRET FILES
WHAT THEY'D RATHER KEEP TO THEMSELVES
by Colin Moon
Today Press AB
26 pages, 1999(?)

   "Swedish English (Swenglish)" is on page 24.  An example is:
"Please take off your clothes and follow me to the whip room."
(Translation: "May I take your coat and accompany you to the VIP room.")

Pg. 4--Stockholm is inhabited by "zero eights," so called because of their telephone area codes.
Pg. 7--It also makes and exports Absolut vodka, which is rather ironic as the Swedish word for teetotaller is "absolutist."
Pg. 15--..."langom," meaning "just enough"...
Pg. 21--Swedish small talk.  Swedes call this "cold talk" or "dead chat" which more or less sums up their opinion of it.

XENOPHOBE'S GUIDE TO THE SWEDES
by Peter Berlin
Oval Books, London
64 pages
First edition 1994, second edition 1999

Pg. 21--As the Swedish saying goes: "Like master. like dog."
Pg. 30--The cakes are covered with green marzipan, or sliced almonds ("toe-nails"), while the pastries have gobs of vanilla and strwaberry jam in the middle ("grandmother's cough").
Pg. 58--The Swedish Model has become the Swedish Muddle.