Ellis's SLANGUAGE is horrible!! (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 28 16:59:44 UTC 2000

   Mike Ellis's SLANGUAGE (August 2000 publication; see also
www.slanguage.com) is horrible!!
   It's 266 pages, $14.00.
   There is no bibliography.
   There is no mention of the American Dialect Society.
   There is no mention of the DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN REGIONAL ENGLISH.
   There is no mention of the RANDOM HOUSE HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN
SLANG.
   There is no mention of Paul Dickson.
   Much of the slang is ancient stuff that no one uses anymore (if anyone
ever did).
   "New York" is on pages 80-83.  The nicknames of NYC are:  "N'Yawk, Big
Apple, Center of the Univoice."  Ellis then gives such NYC slang terms are
"Silicone Alley."  He doesn't even know it's SILICON Alley!
   This guy once wrote on slang for the NY Times!
   Check out the Amazon.com reviews.  Three of three reviewers gave the book
five stars--the highest rating!  Curiously, two different people wrote the
same long review!
   It's stated on Amazon.com that Mike Ellis is doing regional slang
placemats for McDonald's.
   This should be a nice break for the Dictionary of American Regional
English.  We should all approach McDonald's and tell them the story.  The
Dictionary of American Regional English is scholarly.  It's unfinished.  It
needs funding.  Its founder has recently died.  Instead of the Ellis crap,
wouldn't McDonald's want to do something GOOD??
   You can even through in my "hamburger" and "hot dog" research for free.
   If we're not successful with McDonald's (Your kind of place?), try Burger
King!