"package store"

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Thu Aug 31 23:27:10 UTC 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Karl J. Krahnke wrote:

> I just asked my 35 student undergraduate class how many of them knew the term.
> To my surprise, *none* did.  We are in Colorado, but the students represent
> quite a variety of backgrounds.  They are almost all under 24 years old.

Despite my being from Michigan, established here as a place where there
are package stores, I never knew of the term 'til I started doing
lexicography. They were always liquor stores to me. (I'm 33.) Usually in
college though, people just talked about going to make a beer run rather
than saying one was going to a liquor store or to the grocery store to get
liquor.

--- Steve K.