Folk Awareness oif Dialect

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Sun Dec 3 23:41:22 UTC 2000

More of the same (PA-isms, an' 'at)...

2. You say the correct pronunciation LANG-kist-er instead of the
mispronounced Lan-CAST-er, and LEB-en-in instead of the equally
incorrect Leb-a-NON.
5. You ask the waitress for "dippy eggs" for breakfast.
6. You do things "once," as in "I'll go check in the back room once."
9. Your turkey has "filling," not "stuffing," and most certainly NOT
"dressing."
11. You say things like, "Outen the lights."
12. You've heard of distelfinks and hex signs.
14. You pronounce "Suite" as SUIT, not SWEET.
15. You say you're going out to the shed "AWHILE" instead of "FOR
AWHILE."
24. You call sloppy joes "barbecue."
27. You know what a "GOB" is. (it's a dessert that consists of a
sandwich made with 2 big, cake-y chocolate cookies with coolwhip in the
middle)
31. You know exactly what to do when your mother tells you to "Red up
your room."
33. You don't think people from Pittsburgh or Philly talk funny.
40. Words like "hoagie," "chipped ham," and "pop" actually mean
something to you.
42. You constantly refer to Pennsylvania as "PA."

Drew.Danielson at cmu.edu