Awareness of Regional Variation

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Dec 4 20:14:33 UTC 2000

>From one of those ubiquitous regional pride broadsides.

Subject:  secrets to surviving life in the South
3)  Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here it's called Coke.
Nobody gives a flying damn whether it's Pepsi, RC, Dr.Pepper, 7-Up or whatever -- it's
still a Coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an ass kicking.
9) Don't fake a Southern accent.  This will incite a riot, and you will get your ass
kicked.
11) Yes, we know how to speak  proper English. We talk this way because we don't want to
sound like you. We  don't care if you don't understand what we are saying.  All other
Southerners understand what we are saying, and that's all that matters. Now, go away and
leave us alone, or we'll kick your ass.

DMLance