Folk Awareness oif Dialect

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 23:59:05 UTC 2000

>Admittedly, "Valley Joe" is a little much.  Standard California Okey
>Vernacular would be Va-lay-jo.
>
>Ray Ott

General Vallejo, so I was told, did the V closer to a B ([b] and [v] are
apparently allophones in Mexican Spanish). The town of Benicia is named
after his wife.

For a while back in the high-p.c. 70s and 80s, the city of San Jose had an
official high-Mexicano pronunciation, where the 'San' was done with
nasalized ng digraph. Real Californian from the 60s did it Sannozay.

In the East Bay, the second syllable of Alameda was a homophone of English
'me'; in the west, on 'the Penninsula', expecially in Atherton (where the
main drag is Alameda de las Pulgas), the same syllable was a homophone of
English 'may'.