Gertrude

David Bergdahl einstein at FROGNET.NET
Tue Dec 5 13:01:03 UTC 2000

"I read somewhere once that Wyoming migrated to the state name from a
valley in Pennsylvania. I also remember an elegantly bound book of
poetry my grandparents had, which contained a long poem entitled
_Gertrude of Wyoming_ (the poet I don't completely remember; I think it
was a certain Campbell: a FAST search says it's Thomas Campbell,
apparently a Scot, which moves the toponym further east). No, I am not
making this up. The title was deliciously funny, but the poem was a
total bore, and I remember nothing whatsoever of it."
--
I believe the poet was poet laureate at the time: what I remember from a
year long English Romantics course nearly 40 yrs ago was that Wyoming