Folk awareness of dialect

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Tue Dec 5 22:12:34 UTC 2000

As an Albany native, I can testify to the accuracy of these remarks, though
I've always called it Balls-ton Spa, etc. (not Bustun).

I say Aw-bany and so does may family and most of my friends from there.
Rensa-LEER vs REN-sa-lur County.
I've heard that the police use Albany as a quick check to see if the people
they pull over are from out of town.
I've noticed too what strikes me as an increasing use of that NYC rounded
aw in words like law, coffee, etc. among my siblings who still live there
(big family).

Albany is quite different from neighboring Altamont (like Al in Al Smith),
tucked away in the Helderbergs.

Joe Pickett

Nathan H Brown <natebrown1 at JUNO.COM>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 12/05/2000
04:41:37 PM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>