Couple.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 7 12:47:08 UTC 2000

At 8:23 PM -0500 12/7/00, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>Everybody please go back and read Robin's why there can't be any some any
>rule paper.
>
>dInIs

I know the paper well, dInIs (it's Robin Lakoff's paper "Some reasons
why there can't be any some-any rule", published in Language in 1970,
for those who find the above reference a bit cryptic), but she
doesn't really address the issues we were just discussing; RL was
focusing more on cases where both "some" and "any" can occur
grammatically but where the connotative or implicated meaning
differs--

Who wants some spinach?
Who wants any spinach?

To the best of my recollection (I'm away from my LANGUAGE
collection), she didn't discuss the contrast between "weak" (pure
existential) and "strong" (partitive) SOME or between weak and strong
ANY, distinctions which I associate more with Bolinger and, later,
Milsark (1974).

larry