Combination Salad; Banana Peanut Bread;

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 8 22:35:59 UTC 2000

    This Florida mess is just incredible.  My stocks are going down; nevertheless, I'll be in Australia from December 18-January 2nd.
    "Busswords" should have read "buzzwords" in a prior posting.  Also, in my last posting, "sheep" meant "cheap," not "sh-t," so that comment should be ignored. Sorry for those errors.
   Also, to correct some punctuation, it's BETTER HOMES & GARDENS and THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPREITOR'S GAZETTE.

COMBINATION SALAD

   I noticed a citation for "Salad (...) Combination...30" in THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETOR'S GAZETTE, January 1923, pg. 31, col. 2.

BANANA PEANUT BREAD

   "Banana Bread" is in Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA, but he doesn't give a date--propbably because it's not in OED.
   I noticed "Banana Peanut Bread" (usually, Banana Nut Bread) in GOOD HOUSEKEEPING, June 1941, pg. 187, col. 1.  I'm too lazy to type the recipe.

OYSTERS KIRKPATRICK

   Mariani has 1914.
   From THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETOR'S GAZETTE, December 1913, pg. 50, col. 2:

   _OYSTERS KIRKPATRICK_
   A SPECIALTY of the Palace Hotel, San Francisco:
   Opened on the deep shell, covered with a good tomato catsup, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and butter, after which place in oven until done and serve on 10-inch service plates.

BEIGE BOOK

   The FINANCIAL TIMES, 7 December 2000, pg. 1, col. 2:

_Signs of US_
_slowdown_
_shown in_
_Fed survey_
New "beige book" figures fuel market debate about rate cut in new year
   More evidence of cooling economic activity in the US came yesterday from the Federal Reserve.
   Its latest survey of regional economic conditions--known as the "beige book"--...

MORE STEWARD JOKES

   I forgot this one, involving lunch counter slang.
   From THE STEWARD, April 1920, pg. 24, col. 2:

    HIS HOLLER
   Customer (in cheap restaurant)--Give me a cup of chocolate with cream.
   Waiter (hollering order)--Cake and cow for one.
   Customer--Waiter, make that whipped cream.
   Waiter (hollering order)--Chastise Sukey.