Chinese water torture

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Dec 9 14:10:16 UTC 2000

>I'm researching the expression "Chinese water torture" for a newspaper
>column. I have found some discussion of "Chinese fire drill" on ADS-L and
>also at http://www.word-detective.com/back-x.html#chinese. Morris quotes Hugh
>Rawson as saying,
>
><<"the use of the modifier "Chinese" in the derogatory sense of "confused,
>disorganized or inferior" dates back to the time of World War I and was
>largely a British invention. Other "Chinese" slurs of the day included
>"Chinese ace" (an inept aviator), "Chinese national anthem" (an explosion)
>and "Chinese puzzle" (one with no solution)."Chinese fire drill" seems to be
>one of the few (fortunately) of these phrases that have survived in popular
>usage. >>
>
>However, nothing about "Chinese water torture" (which of course does not have
>the implication of confused, disorganized or inferior). I have asked several
>native Chinese speakers and "Chinese water torture" is unknown to them. So I
>put the question before the house. Does anyone have any knowledge of the
>origin of this term, or for that matter of the practice called by that name,
>that is, torture by having water dripped on you slowly?

I don't have any knowledge of this 'water-drop' torture except from casual
references in English. I wouldn't be surprised if the putative original
referent proved to be apocryphal.

There are at least two forms of torture called 'water torture' which
regrettably seem to be well documented (in Europe and elsewhere): (1)
near-drowning or near-suffocation, with the victim's head repeatedly
submerged for uncomfortable periods, or with a soaked cloth applied to the
face, (2) a procedure in which the victim is forced to swallow enormous
amounts of water to painfully distend the stomach.

With respect to the 'Chinese' designation, I might add the simile "like the
Chinese Navy" (e.g., "This place is run like the ..."), meaning
disorganized. I did some reading some years ago which suggested that this
might have been entirely apt in reference to the (rudimentary)
18th-19th-century Chinese navy.

To Larry Horn's basketball reference, I might add that the "[Chinese]
basket trick" is a staple in pornographic and other literature (I think it
might have appeared in one of the "Flashman" novels for example) -- it has
no obvious connection to basketball; it seemingly would call for great
precision and control, and not confusion or disorganization by any means.

Another seemingly non-negative expression -- whatever its origin -- would
be "Chinese-fashion" or "Chinese-style" sexual intercourse, usually
referring to at least one participant lying on his/her side. At least it
sounds less pejorative than "dog-style", doesn't it?

-- Doug Wilson