Junk Food; Nuggets

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 10 01:29:40 UTC 2000

JUNK FOOD

   I thought I remember that OED has an earlier citation, but I can't find it.
   From John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK:

   The first appearance of the term in print was in an article by food writer Gael Greene called "Confessions of a Sensualist" in _New York_ magazine for May 17, 1971, in which she wrote, "My respect for the glories of French cuisine are unsurpassed, but I am a fool for junk food."

   This is the beginning of a "Personal Impressions" article by the same Gael Greene, NATION'S RESTAURANT NEWS, 30 March 1970, pg. 4, col. 1:

   I eat junk.
   I love junk.  I love Fritos and tacos and Chunkies and Fresca _with_ cyclamates...

NUGGETS

   Before chicken nuggests were seafood nuggets.
   NATION'S RESTAURANT NEWS, 13 April 1970, pg. 35, col. 1:

NEPTUNE'S GOLDEN NUGGETS 69 cents
BITE SIZE MORSELS OF CRAB & SHRIMP