"To ___ slap"

Johanna N Franklin johannaf+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Sun Dec 10 17:56:12 UTC 2000

        The word "bitch" seems to be becoming more and more gender neutral - it
seems to just mean "one subservient to someone else."

        Some of my friends, male and female, doing research for professors,
refer to themselves as "Professor X's bitch."  Similarly, in one
organization I know, the officers describe their hierarchy as "Yeah,
John's her bitch, but she's still Jim's bitch," and all it means to them
is who has authority over whom (in the sense of who can chew whom out).

        So I don't think gender is necessarily a factor in the phrase "bitch slap."

        Johanna