jitney

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Mon Dec 11 22:13:05 UTC 2000

Few (well, really none) are the occasions when I have had the opportunity
to correct Dennis Preston,
but I'm pretty sure matutu is a singular noun. Matutu may be a plural word
in other African usage, though.

Joe Pickett

from the Lonely Planet Travel Guide on the web
(http://www.diverplanet.com/Lonely_Planet/Africa/tan.htm)

Driving in Tanzania is a trade-off between speed and potholes. Traffic
density is
                                low outside main towns, so your main enemy
is the holey road surface. On the
                                mainland at least, car rental is still an
expensive option. By bus, don't expect much.
                                On the long-haul routes there's generally a
choice between luxury and ordinary, but
                                these are very relative terms. On short
hauls the choice is between ordinary buses
                                and dalla dalla - the Tanzanian equivalent
of a Kenyan matutu.

"Dennis R. Preston" <preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 12/11/2000
04:38:19 PM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>