Supreme Court proverbs

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 13 04:08:16 UTC 2000

SUPREME COURT PROVERBS

   Wow.
   I've heard "moving the goalposts" a lot.
   Arthur Miller just said that this legal decision is "belt and suspenders."
   I've heard something like "the U. S. Supreme Court decision isn't final
because it's good, it's good because it's final."
   The proverb "the Supreme Court follows election returns" was used many
times (with irony) today.
   Check "Supreme Court" and "proverb/maxim" on the usual databases for any
others.

----
TROGLODYTE

   "Are You a Troglodyte?" was in THE DOME (Penn. Military College student
newspaper), 1 March 1950, pg. 2, col. 1, editorial.  I don't have the "T" in
the RHHDAS.

----
CRINKLE CUT FRENCH FRIES

   From the 1955 WILMINGTON (DE) CLASSIFIED TELEPHONE DIRECTORY, pg. 298 ad
for R. K. DRIVE IN RESTAURANT:

"Something New in Wilmington"
Try Our RK Krinkle-Cut French Fries

   Mariani doesn't give a date for these fries....I'll post "steak fries" a
little later.

----
OSGOOD PIES

   Mariani states that these are "Oh So Good" pies, but he doesn't give a
date.  Anyone have a date?
   From FRUIT, GARDEN & HOME (later BETTER HOMES & GARDENS), June 1924, pg.
48, col. 1:

   _Osgood Pies_
4 eggs
1 cupful of raisins
2 cupfuls of sugar
3 tablespoonfuls of vinegar
2 tablespoonfuls of butter
1 teaspoonful each of cloves and cinnamon
   Line pie tins with rich crust and cover bottoms with the raisins.
Separate the yolks and whites of the eggs.  To the yolks add the sugar,
butter, spices, and vinegar; mix thoroly and then add to this mixture the
well beaten whites.  Mix well and pour into the crusts.  Bake in a slow
oven.--Mrs. K. R., Iowa