"Michigan Bank-Roll"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 13 05:51:48 UTC 2000

At 1:13 PM -0500 12/13/00, Steve K. wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Michael wrote:
>
>>  my parents, who both have ties to michigan, use this
>>  phrase to describe a pile of cash that is either all
>>  or mostly made up of singles (one dollar bills) --
>
>google.com turns up 14 hits when you search on "michigan bankroll" (with
>bankroll closed up) -- some of the URLs may or may not get you started on
>the right path.

I don't have my RHHDAS on me and there's no listing in the AHD, but
as far as I know the specifics for this item require a bill of higher
denomination showing on each side, e.g. a sandwich with $10 or $20
bills as the bread and a sheaf of singles as the meat, with the idea
of course being that it looks like more money than it really is.  A
pile of singles wouldn't really count on this use.

There's a nice detective novel by an author whose name I forget that
involves poker (but as far as I recall no "boxed cards") called
_Michigan Bankroll_.

larry