"Meerns" query

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Dec 22 17:07:33 UTC 2000

Mijnheer is always pronounced "meneer" [m at ne:r] today, though I don't know
how long that has been so.  The (highly formal) plural is the full "Mijne
heren" [maejn@ he:r@].  (I also don't know how long ago final -n in
unstressed syllables was lost.  It's still available for citation
pronunciation.)  In any case, to get from there to "meerns" would require
considerable garbling, and it's a stretch to imagine any processes within
Dutch that would yield that particular garbling  (loss of the stem n from
"mijne" and the h- from "heren", retention of a now-archaic final n in
"heren", the vowel derived from English spelling rather than the Dutch
pronunciation, and addition of the English plural ending after the Dutch
one).  Even if none of that occurred in Dutch, it seems an unusual amount
of garbling for a borrowing.  Perhaps it's an idiolectal garbling of a
loanword the writer heard imperfectly.

Peter Mc.

--On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 8:34 PM -0800 "A. Maberry"

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu