Is this really true?

Alice Faber faber at ALVIN.HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 24 20:09:05 UTC 2000

RonButters at AOL.COM said:
>Does anyone know if the following is really true? (I realize that we are not
>historians of prophecy, but I don't know where else to turn!)
>
>>> In 1555, Nostradamus wrote:
>    >> Come the millennium, month 12,
>    >> In the home of greatest power,
>    >> The village idiot will come forth
>    >> To be acclaimed the leader.

There's been a lot of discussion of this in the past week or so on
alt.folklore.urban, most of which I haven't paid a lot of attention to; my
impression, though, is that it's at best misleading. Folks were looking at
various web sites and unable to find transparent year references anywhere
in Nostradamus. There was another alleged prophecy also referring to the
son of a leader (and fearing something from France also) that was equally
debunked.
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu