nookie

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Dec 28 03:35:57 UTC 2000

Following D. Robertson and L. Horn:

"Nooky":

Thorne's slang dictionary gives (under "nookie") the US "noogie" =
"kiss"/"hug", from "nug". I don't find this elsewhere, and I don't
recognize it from my experience.

In the 1960's, IIRC, in my experience (MI), the question "Did you get any X
[on your date last night]?" might include X = "pussy" (less commonly "ass",
"poontang", etc.), which would be very specific, or it might include X =
"nooky"/"action"/[none], which would be a little ambiguous, permitting an
answer like "Well, I got SOME, but [didn't go all the way, etc.]".

The use of "nooky" as a specific anatomical term is completely new to me.
Certainly in "She was wearing a short skirt and I could see all the way up
to her X", I would get the idea with X = "nooky" or any of 10,000 other
words, but if I encountered (out of context) "She was in an accident and
had some injury to her nooky" I wouldn't have had any idea (until now) what
part was involved (neck? knuckle? noggin?). What are others' impressions?

"Cock" = "pussy":

I heard this occasionally in the 1960's (MI), = both "vagina" and
"women"/"sex". This did not strike me as 'black' or 'white' or 'southern',
but it seemed 'uneducated' -- not something which would appear in a book.
There were a lot of people of southern origin in Detroit, etc., of course.
IIRC, those who used "cock" = "vagina" would not use "cock" = "penis"
("dick" was available for this).

This "cock" = "pussy" (= "women"/"sex") appears once in Vance Randolph's
"Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales".

"Twitchet" = "c*nt":

This is a cute one which is used many times in Randolph's book: apparently
it's common in the Ozarks. I've never heard it myself.

-- Doug Wilson