More "Wuss"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 1 23:25:30 UTC 2000

     I was so young in the 1960s!   My parents never said "wuss."  I was a
deprived child!
    More citations:

THE DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY SLANG (1990) by Tony Thorne.
Pg. 570:  wuss n. American.  1. a weak, feeble person, and by extension a
dupe.  A word used by college students and young people from the 1960s and
probably inspired by "puss," "pussy" or "pussy-wussy," used as a term of
endearment to a kitten.  (1987 cite follows, plus WUSSY entry--ed.)

FLAPPERS 2 RAPPERS: AMERICAN YOUTH SLANG (1996) by Tom Dalzell.
Pg. 184:  wuss  A coward, a weakling
(listed under "The 1970s and 1980s")

THE CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG (1998) by Jonathon Green.
Pg. 1300:  wuss n. (1970s+)(orig. US teen) a weakling, someone who cannot be
depended on; thus _wussy_, indecisive, feeble (WIMP n. + PUSSY n.)

OXFORD DICTIONARY OF SLANG (1998) by John Ayto.
Pg. 231:  wuss (1990) Orig. & mainly US; origin unknown.

     Oxford is out to lunch with that 1990 date.  They need some help on
Americanisms.  They should steal away an American like Jesse Sheidlower.
     Cassell is in line with what we know.
     The Thorne and the Dalzell cites (1960s and 1970s, respectively) are
disturbing.  Dalzell is THE authority on American youth slang.  "Wuss" is a
word of American youth slang.  Dalzell has lots and lots and lots of word
lists from the 1960s and 1970s.  Dalzell places the word in the 1970s.  He
could very well be wrong, but I'd like written documentation.
    I probably won't go through National Lampoon (Lighter has done this), but
I'll give a quick 1960s check of Lenny Bruce and the Harvard Lampoon in a few
days.