haggies - dibs

Anne Lambert annelamb at GNV.FDT.NET
Wed Feb 2 19:59:11 UTC 2000

Once again as to "dibs": I've checked my etymological dictionary and note that
"dibs" is defined as a children's game played with knucklebones or pebbles
(18th century). In Opie's book on children's games I remember that "dip" is
the term used for what we call in the US "counting out"; my dictionary also
says that "dibs" is probably a variant of "dip."
"Dibs" was also used for money in the 19th century.