"wuss"

Thu Feb 3 15:51:03 UTC 2000

I have to agree with Jesse (and Lighter) on this right down the line. This is
not to say that reminiscence is not valued, only that the written record is
the only sure proof. Of course both reminiscence AND the written record need
to be interpreted: Even if reminiscence is accurate, it could be the result
of some coterie usage that was certainly not widespread. Likewise (as I have
argued elsewhere about GAY), even a written citation may not really be
evidence of anything other than the lexicographer's projecting contemporary
meanings onto an earlier usage.