proof of age (still OT)

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Feb 7 20:11:39 UTC 2000

Kathleen Miller <millerk at NYTIMES.COM> wrote:

I remember being over at my friend's house making french fries in second
grade when news came over the radio that Elvis was dead. My friend and her
mother went into hysterics. All I could think was "who's elvis?" and "is he
really important enough to warrant the burning of my french fries?"

Same with John Lennon - had no clue who he was, but vividly remember it
because Mark David Chapman decided to assasinate him on my 10th birthday.

The Challenger, on the other hand, I sat watching with my sophomore History
class, but I would not compare the death of seven strangers to a beloved
president. Damn shame, yes, personal loss, no.
<<<

YMMV. (This is a Usenet abbreviation for "Your Mileage May Vary", alluding to
the disclaimer in auto and gasoline commercials and meaning that the issue is
subjective. Often = "What I have just said, or am about to say, is a personal
opinion. I accept that your opinion may differ from mine; you, please, accept it
too and don't react as though I'd stated this as absolute truth.")

Many of us had a deep emotional investment in the space effort and regard it as
shameful that the last person to walk on the Moon has held that title for so
many years. Such people felt the Challenger disaster as a personal loss.

-- Mark A. Mandel
          Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/