Social (was Re: Safire on Contraction)

Sallie Lemons Sallie.Lemons at MSDW.COM
Mon Feb 7 20:42:13 UTC 2000

I went to Columbia and my social security number was my ID throughout. I
don't remember being asked for my "social" there, but I have been
subsequently by anyone requiring it in a variety of places. I assumed it was
a contraction peculiar to NYC where short talk seems the thing, e.g., Rock
Plaza, First Av.