influence of russian on AE

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Thu Feb 10 22:58:13 UTC 2000

Anne Lambert wrote:

> Isn't there also a word "nudnik" which I would understand as nude person or
> someone involved with nudism?  If so, this would probably be Yiddish rather
> than Russian. I don't see anything about the suffix "-nik" in DARE.  It
> became popular with "Sputnik."

"Nudnik" is transliterated Yiddish for a person who is a bore or a nuisance.
I've also heard it used to mean a sort of idiot, who doesn't know enough to open
a door before trying to walk through it.  But that may be a misuse.

I don't know what the meaning of the "nud-" morph is, but I doubt it has
anything to do with nudity.  There is another Yiddish word "nudge" which also
refers to a person who is a nuisance.  I can find out more once I'm home and can
look up the words.

Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanging--it is the skin of a