Chat Up

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Mon Feb 14 10:09:33 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron E. Drews <aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Monday, February 14, 2000 5:06 AM
Subject: Chat Up

>The other night, I was watching _Fraser_ and he mentioned something about
>"chatting up women".  I first encountered this phrase in Scotland, although
>I quickly figured out the meaning.   Is this phrase in use in America?  Is
>it a new phrase?  Did I miss out on something in my college years?

Common in the UK, rare but not totally unknown among Americans, especially
anglophile Americans, and those with any decent amount of exposure to Brits
(it was only once, and the button broke while my coat was unbelted!). It's
certainly in character for Frasier Crane to use it.

The only American equivalent I've heard is HipHop's 'mack'...

bkd