Merriam-Webster definition of parse

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Feb 17 19:31:50 UTC 2000

Not at all, Andrea.  Your understanding of parse is the first order of
definition in the American Heritage Dictionary.  I'm surprised that M-W
didn't specify grammar--I noticed that this morning in my Word of the Day
message--but the M-W definition does say something about breaking a sentence
down into its constituent parts, does it not?

I might be mis-remembering; I always flush the Word of the Day immediately
upon reading it.

bob