Query for database searchers/dictionary editors

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Fri Feb 25 14:01:56 UTC 2000

It seems to me that I've known this word "all my life" (meaning that I don't
remember learning it) and I grew up in the Canadian Prairies, pretty far
from the U.S. South!  I know it as an adj, meaning small, trifling, etc.,
and do not think of it as an exotic term.  The record shows that it's an
Americanism, first used in English in Louisiana with ref to a coin (the
earliest quotation found so far is from 1804; see the OED or Mathews' Dict
of Americanisms), taken from French 'picaillon', name of an old copper coin,
which was adapted from Provencal 'picaioun', also a small coin.  The word is
entered in Merriam's Intermediate Dict, intended for middle school or junior
high, which implies that it is or was considered a pretty standard
vocabulary item.

Victoria

Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102