picayune

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Fri Feb 25 19:58:35 UTC 2000

I don't think 'picky' can have come from 'picayune'.  'Picky' dates from
early in this century, and its basic meaning was/is choosy or finicky (as in
"a picky eater").  It's directly related to 'pick', as in 'pick and choose'
or 'pick at'.  There's a significant semantic difference between calling
someone picky, meaning they're too fussy, and calling them (or more likely a
notion the person has expressed) picayune, meaning trivial or even
small-minded.  Also, 'pickaninny' does not seem to be related to 'picayune'
(which goes back to a word meaning money); 'pickaninny' most likely derives
ultimately from a Portuguese adjective meaning small.

Victoria

Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102
Tel: 413-734-3134  ext 124