gee-gaw

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Feb 28 03:53:30 UTC 2000

Oh, yeah, geegaw.  Gewgaw's a variation, or vice versa. A knick-knack, a
thingamajig, a widget, a what-not.  Although for me, it's always had a
certain play-purty connotation.  And it's not to be confused with, although
it's certainly related to a whimmy-diddle, or to be more precise, a gee-haw
whimmy-diddle.  That's geegaw, as opposed to "gee-haw" whimmy-diddle.  All
whimmy-diddles are geegaws, but not all geegaws are whimmy-diddles.