The benefits of illegal proposals

Mon Feb 28 19:47:46 UTC 2000

Hmmmm. This is a very interesting reponse. Since teachers in US public
schools aren't qualified to teach a subject, let's not do it. The second
part I find hard to understand is that we should not even attempt such
curricular innovation since school boards in Kansas and Texas (I hope y'all
Kansans and Texans take care of this slur on your own; I got my own
Kentucky problems) won't go for it. What if they don't go for math,
physics, algebra?
As for teaching "about" a religion not one's own, I had the best religion
course in my life (Buddhism) from an agnostic.
There seems to be some confusion between what I am calling "comparative
religion" and "teaching religion" - the furthest thing from my mind. I
encisioned a course in which the nature of various religions was examined
but also one in which the social and psychological characteristics of
religious belief in general were explored as well.
I was wool-gathering about an ideal world, but, it seems to me, none of
that ideal ever gets implemented if we don;t reach for it from time to time.

dInIs

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University