Database searches on "picayune"?

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Feb 29 08:27:56 UTC 2000

Thanks to all who have weighed in on familiarity or lack thereof with
"picayune". Given the regional diversity of "yes" votes, it appears to be
possibly a random individual matter whether the word was learned or not,
rather than that is is primarily a regional term (although it certainly
started with Louisiana French, as the etymology shows -- and thanks for
those as well).
        I was hoping some of our regulars such as Barry and Fred could
check their database files to see if there was a regional pattern in
publication cites, or if anything else interesting turned up on age (have
citations declined in recent years, and how far back to do they go). I
still hope we can hear from them, and anyone else with access to a
database. Thanks in advance,

        Rudy