picayune

Tue Feb 29 15:28:36 UTC 2000

--- Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
> Bethany writes:
>

> I've known the word as far back as I can rememebr,
> but since I grew up in
> se texas, that may not tell us anything.
> <<<
>
> So've I, and I grew up in NYC (late fifties - early
> sixties).
>
> Of course, I read everything I could get my hands
> on... as I expect a lot of us
> on ADS-L did.
>
> -- Mark

One of the distinctions I failed to make in my reply,
and that I see in lot of other replies, is whether one
is familiar with the word, which was the original
question I believe, or one actually uses the word.  I
am familiar with the word through association with
people from the Gulf Coast area, but I don't believe I
have ever used it myself.

I just popped my head over the cubicle wall and asked
a collegue what "picayune" was: he replied without
hesitation, "It's the newspaper in Frostbite Falls,
Minn., the home of Rocky and Bullwinkle."  He had no
idea what the word meant.

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued