Words of the Year and the Century

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 10 14:38:45 UTC 2000

ABC was confused. Since that seems to spread the confusion worldwide, here's
the explanation I just sent to Grant Barrett. - Allan Metcalf

ABC was misled by the list of words of the 20th century that came not from
ADS but from the book by David Barnhart and me. We used our list as nominees;
the Chicago Tribune printed that list, with proper attribution; but ABC,
picking it up from the Tribune, thought it was ADS choices.

The American Dialect Society has been choosing Words of the Year since 1990.
Two of the organizers of the Word of the Year vote, David K. Barnhart and
Allan A. Metcalf, published their own personal choices for words of the year
in the whole history of American English in their book _America in So Many
Words_ (Houghton Mifflin, 1997 and 1999). They offered these words from the
1900s as their own nominees for Words of the Century:

1900    phony
1901    grass roots
1902    goo
1903    highbrow