Webtender.com & Shakenorstirred.com

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 14 07:03:48 UTC 2000

     In addition to Cocktails.com and SOAR (which is mainly food recipes but
does have some drinks) are Webtender.com and Shakenorstirred.com.
     These cites don't have etymologies, but hey, that's my job.
     Ever since "Sex on the Beach," about ten years ago, drink names have
gone to hell.  This list is from
www.webtender.com/statistics/all-time-top.html:

Top 100 requested drinks
     1-900-FUK-ME-UP (UGH!--ed.); Long Island Iced Tea #1; Sex on the beach
#1; Margarita; A Piece of Ass (HOW ORIGINAL!--ed.); Long Island Iced Tea #2;
Blow Job #1; Margarita, Original; Long Island Iced Tea (By a Long Islander);
Alabama Slammer; 3-Mile Long Island Iced Tea; White Russian; B-52 #1; Absolut
Sex; Jello shots; Cosmopolitan #1; Cosmopolitan Martini; Adios Motherfucker
(WHO ORDERS THIS??-ed.); Amaretto Sour; After sex; Bald Pussy (I'VE NEVER HAD
ONE!--ed.); Jan's Jello Shots; Screaming Orgasm; Mudslide #1; A Gilligan's
Island; Water (the original); Martini (Traditional 2-to-1); Bloody Mary;
Buttery Nipple #1; '57 Chevy with a White License Plate; Sex on the Beach #2;
A Day at the Beach; Martini #2; Long Island Iced Tea #4; Kamikaze; Kamikazie
#1; Mai Tai; Sangria--The World's Best; Martini (Dry)(5-to-1); Blow Job #2;
Cosmopolitan #2; Blow Job #3 (WHO NEEDS THREE BLOW JOBS?--ed.); Pina Colada
#1; Cosmoplitan #3; Sex on the Beach #10; Tequila Sunrise; Long Island Iced
Tea #5; Slippery Nipple #1; Flaming Dr. Pepper; A True Amaretto Sour;
Screwdriver; Manhattan; B-52 #2; 911; Orgasm; Sex on my face (WHO ORDERS
THIS?--ed.); Fuck You (UGH!!!--ed.); Sex on the Beach #3; Long Island Iced
Tea #6; Bahama Mama; Silk Stockings; Black Russian; Sex on the Beach #11;
Electric Jello; Strawberry Daiquiri; Frozen Margarita #1; 3 Wise Men; 24k
nightmare; Mudslide #2; Alien Urine Sample; Absinthe #1; Acid Cookie; Bahama
Mama #2; A Fuzzy Thing; Jell-o Jiggler SHots; Blue Balls; 357 Magnum; ACID;
Sangria #1; Tom Collins; Adam Bomb; Liquid Cocaine #1; Fuzzy Navel
(original); A midsummernight dream; Fu** me like a beast (WHO ORDERS
THIS??--ed.); Long Island Tea; Jello-shot Supreme; 69 Special; Blue Smurf
Piss; Zombie #1; Witch's Clit (WHO ORDERS THIS??--ed.); Martini #3; Cum Shot
(WHO ORDERS THIS??--ed.); Blue Hawaiian; Cowboy Cocksucker; Sangria #2;
Buttery Nipple #2; 151 Florida Bushwacker; Hurricane.

     Despite this, Webtender.com is worth more than a look.  See also
www.webtender.com/index/Recipes/ for more web sites.
     Shakenorstirred.com appears to have started just this year.  It has only
about 200 hits, and Webtender.com lists it as "new."  I've just downloaded
about 200 pages of recipes.  The drink names appear to be cleaner than the
above list.  The contributor names are not with the recipes.
     One new name I like is from the Greensboro (NC) News & Record, 16
January 1999, pg. A12:

     Washington watering hole called The Daily Grill is featuring a new
cocktail called "Impeachmenthe."  The recipe calls for one-half peach
schnapps and one-half white creme de menthe.

MISC.

    I believe "Don't confuse genius (or, brains) with a bull market" is older
than the American Express guy....I didn't find that W. C. Fields expression
in the book, but I have heard it before....I don't have exact recipes for all
of what I got from Hong Kong.  Most of it was copied quickly, just to see
what's there.  I might contact the places again.  Some places weren't
cooperative, or had English problems.  "Bill Clinton," for example, was
explained to me several times and I still don't know what that is.