Off-topic: SUV owners

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Mon Jan 17 18:53:51 UTC 2000

I have not quoted Mike's diatribe against people who drive SUVs.

Thank you, Mike.  I drive one.  I have found it infinitely more useful than a
flatbed or a sedan.  The 4-wheel drive is great in bad weather when the back
isn't loaded down, and the 4-wheel drive low has taken me through 3-ft. of snow
when I would otherwise have been stuck.

Out here in California, you have no choice if you go to the Sierras in bad
weather:  4-wheel drive with mud and snow tires, or chains.  Putting on chains
in wet slush is not my idea of fun.

I can take 4 adults and their gear for a weekend of camping, skiing, whitewater
rafting.  I can load an entire 6-ft. long platform bed in the back, with the
mattress in the roof.  I have moved myself _many_ times, never worrying about
the rain.  I have lent my truck to others for their hauling needs.  I cart
recycling and donations, frequently.

I am pretty sick of wanton SUV bashing.  There are just as many idiots driving
BMW sedans, Volvo wagons, and Honda Civics.  Yes, SUVs use more gas, and that is
offensive.  For this reason I often either carpool or take the bus to work.  But
sometimes I have to go places where the buses don't go.

Another nice benfit to driving a truck as a woman - men bother you less.  They
don't try to cut you off or shoot at you.  I am not kidding.

Maybe I'm an idiot.  But I'm a satisfied one.

Andrea
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com
Sun-Netscape Alliance i18n architect
Necessity is the mother of strange bedfellows.
-- Dr. Dave Farber (father of SNOBOL and one of the creators of Token Ring)